Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Bodleian Library Promise

I was a little disappointed that I only had to sign this declaration, not read it aloud as well. It may look silly, but it's surprisingly heady:
"I hereby undertake not to remove from the Library, or to mark, deface, or injure in any way, any volume document or other object belonging to it or in its custody; not to bring into the Library, or kindle therein, any fire or flame, and not to smoke in the lIbrary; and I promise to obey all rules of the Library."

5 comments:

  1. Did you have a choice to read and sign the Latin version? I believe that in days (i.e. years) gone by, readers were required to recite the Latin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow---when did that change? I read it aloud. But not, alas, in Latin. They had cards with the oath in about sixty languages, though, which was its own sort of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunno. But I do have to go renew my card tomorrow, so I'll be sure to check out the stack of cards. Further bulletins as events warrant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Events warrant. Further bulletin posted under today's date.

    ReplyDelete