Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Week in Links (The Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road Edition)

I suppose I should just accept the fact that castles and fortresses are used and reused over the centuries and damaged and rebuilt anew after each successive attack. But the news of the damage to the Krak des Chevaliers still makes me cringe.

Krak des Chevaliers Hit

An update on the destruction of cultural patrimony in another place and another war, twenty years ago:

Impossible to Turn the Page

Kosher Sushi in the (Ex-?) Ghetto in Rome:

Echoes from the Roman Ghetto

The Grammatical Diversity Project at Yale is documenting varieties of English diglossia:

Why 'Bad' Grammar Isn't

Although this was specifically written with students beginning the study of English literature in mind, it will be worthwhile to all literature and history students:

Advice for New Students of English Literature

Lawsuits and injunctions are flying to keep the NYPL from destroying its research library at the Schwartzmann Building:

Second Lawsuit Filed Against NYPL

As a fan and defender of bad literature, this blog post appealed to me:

The Boring, Ugly and Unimportant: Biases in Manuscript Studies

It turns out that I'm not the only one having issues in the archives of London this week. I guess I would have expected this sort of thing in Spain, but was surprised that it happens in the UK, too:

Surprises in the Archives

And finally, knit the Middle Ages!

Knit Archaeology Festival

2 comments:

  1. I liked the post about "boring" manuscripts; but the advice to new students of literature and history, which I hoped to read, also links to the manuscript post. Could you fix this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that! Should be okay now.

    ReplyDelete